Pharmacy and the US Health Care System
Edited by Smith, Michael Ira; Wertheimer, Albert I. and Fincham, Jack E.
Michael Ira Smith, President, MIS Pharmaceutical Consultants; Albert I. Wertheimer, Professor of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Temple University School of Pharmacy; Jack E. Fincham, Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Administration, University of Missouri
Pharmacy and the US Health Care System equips pharmacists for independent practice in today's unpredictable health care environment. This fourth edition offers a complete source of current information about the features of the US health care system including the personnel and institutions, as well as concise reports on trends, regulations, policy and finances.
Written and edited by a well-respected team of experts, this new edition has been fully revised and updated and now features new chapters including:
- patient safety and pharmacovigilance
- professionalism and ethics.
The inclusion of case studies, sample test questions and learning objectives makes this an invaluable tool for students. Whether it is a course offering an introduction to the health care environment, or about managing and finance in the US health care delivery system, this is an essential textbook. It is also a helpful reference for practicing pharmacists and pharmacy organizations and societies.
Pharmacy and the US Health Care System is also available as an eBook.
1. Health and Health Care in the United States
2. Financing US Health Care
3. Managed Care Pharmacy
4. The Health Professions
5. Pharmacists and US Health Care
6. Pharmacy Organizations
7. Emerging Roles
8. Political Realities of Pharmacy
9. Hospital and Health Care Institutions
10. Pharmacist Role in Long-term Care
11. The Research Manufacturing Pharmaceutical Industry
12. Drug Distribution
13. The Consumers of Health Care
14. The Drug Use Process
15. Patient Safety and Pharmacovigilance
16. Provisions of Care to Subpopulations: a Cultural Perspective
17. Professionalism and Ethics
18. Health Information Technology: Emerging Challenges for Pharmacy
19. Unresolved Issues in Pharmacy: Imagining the Future
20. The Future
"This book can help pharmacists learn how to differentiate and specialize to remain marketable...
This is a useful book for pharmacists to use to assess and review their career options..."
Judith Klevan, BSPharm(Jeanes Hospital), Doody's Notes, 2013