Medicines, Ethics and Practice
The professional guide for pharmacists
Royal Pharmaceutical Society
36 (July 2012)
Medicines, Ethics and Practice: The professional guide for pharmacists is the Royal Pharmaceutical Society's established professional guide for pharmacists.
This 36th edition has been revised as a practical resource to help pharmacists practise confidently and professionally, embedding professionalism at the heart of decision-making processes and providing underpinning information to support pharmacists in their day-to-day practice.
New in this edition:
- A summary table of the types of prescribers and restrictions on what they can prescribe
- A table comparing homeopathic and herbal preparations
- A table of excluded topics and signposting to alternative sources of information
- A table describing the activities of specialist pharmacy partnership groups
- A diagrammatic representation of a veterinary prescription
- A reproduction of the NHS incident decision tree
There are also new sections within the MEP raising awareness of the concepts of professional empowerment and just culture, and guidance on the core skill of counselling patients, together with revisions to clinical check guidance.
Other new topics include information to raise awareness of the professional issues associated with the supply of isotretinoin and in particular the isotretinoin pregnancy prevention programme. Information is included about the charitable donation of medicines, electronic cigarettes, the use of social media, revised information on faxed prescriptions, and changes to wholesale dealing arrangements following the recent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency statement.
Medicines, Ethics and Practice is also available as an ebook.
Core concepts and skills
- Professionalism and professional judgment
- Clinical check
- Taking medication histories
- Counselling patients
- Just culture
- Professional empowerment
- Continuing professional development
Underpinning knowledge – legislation and professional issues
- Classification of medicines
- Professional and legal issues: Pharmacy medicines
- Professional and legal issues: Prescription-only medicines
- Wholesale dealing
- Additional legal and professional issues
- Veterinary medicines
- Controlled drugs
Royal Pharmaceutical Society resources
Excluded topics and signposting
Partnerships with specialist groups
Relevant GPhC standards and guidance
ISBN 978 0 85711 076 3
Published Jul 2012