British National Formulary (BNF) 70
Joint Formulary Committee
70 (September 2015)
Published jointly by BMJ Publishing Group Ltd and Royal Pharmaceutical Society
BNF 70 (September 2015) has been revised and revalidated to reflect changes in product availability, emerging safety concerns and shifts in clinical practice. Access to the latest edition of the BNF is vital for healthcare professionals, as there are a large number of updates from one edition to the next.
To make it even easier to find the information you need, the content in the new BNF 70 has been restructured.
You’ll find improved consistency and clarity in the print version. See www.bnf.org to find out more, along with sample pages and a clear guide on how to use the improved BNF.
Some of the significant content updates in this edition include:
- New safety information about reducing the risk of QT interval prolongation and Torsade de Pointes with hydroxyzine
- New advice about the risk of lymphopenia and potential risk of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy with dimethyl fumarate
- Further guidance on the restricted use of codeine for the treatment of cough and cold symptoms in children
- Addition of new indications for omalizumab for treating chronic spontaneous urticaria and for lenalidomide in certain patients with multiple myeloma
- Updated dosing information for the use of tramadol in the treatment of acute and chronic pain
- Guidance about dose reduction for lisdexamfetamine mesilate for patients with severe renal impairment
- Updated contra-indications for aceclofenac in patients with certain established cardiovascular diseases
- Addition of new preparations, including DuoResp Spiromax® (budesonide with formoterol), Envarsus® (tacrolimus), Fostair NEXThaler® (beclometasone with formoterol), Jaydess® (levonorgestrel), Ketoconazole HRA® (ketoconazole) and Lonquex® (lipegfilgrastim)
The BNF evaluates clinical evidence from diverse sources with information validated by a network of clinical experts and published under the authority of a Joint Formulary Committee.
Content of the BNF reflects current best practice as well as legal and professional guidelines relating to the uses of medicines. The resource includes:
- Guidance on the drug management of common conditions
- Details of medicines prescribed within the UK with special reference to their uses, cautions, contra-indications, side-effects, doses and relative costs. This allows treatment to be tailored to the individual needs of each patient.
- Guidance on prescribing, monitoring, dispensing and adminstering medicines.
The content is updated every 6 months in print, making it an up-to-date source of prescribing advice for informed decision-making.
"The redesigned BNF remains an extensive and authoritative reference text for pharmacists and healthcare professionals.
...the indication and the dose for each drug monograph have been moved together. These two pieces of information are probably the most important for BNF users, and it is useful to be able to access this vital information quickly.
...The notes remain extensive, useful and have been simplified, with text about specific drugs being moved into the drug monographs, while text about treatment and use of drug classes remaining in the notes.
...One thing I particularly like is that all the information about the systemic use of one drug is in the same place. For example, all the uses for systemic prednisolone — asthma, chronic obstructive airways disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, myasthenia gravis, proctitis and so on — can all be found on the same page.
...As ever, the BNF is its own best teacher. Get to know the new structure, use it frequently and it will soon become as familiar as the previous format."
Pamela Mason, The Pharmaceutical Journal, 19 October 2015
BNF Publications are now available via a money-saving print subscription.
- BNF Subscription for 1 year
- BNF + BNFC Subscription 1 year
- BNF Subscription for 2 years
- BNF + BNFC Subscription 2 years
Benefits of purchasing via subscription include:
- Constant access to the latest medical information as it publishes
- Significant financial savings on 1 and 2 year subscriptions, including package BNF/BNFC subscriptions
- Removes the need for repeat ordering and allows you to receive your copy as soon as it is published.
Also available via all major subscription agents.
You can also access the BNF online.
ISBN 978 0 85711 173 9
Published Sep 2015
210 x 148mm (1392pp)
Other formats available
Online via MedicinesComplete
The British National Formulary (BNF) is available online through MedicinesComplete.
BNF 1 Year Subscription
Now available as a 1 year print subscription, ensuring you have...
BNF 2 Year Subscription
Now available as a 2 year print subscription, ensuring you have...
BNF & BNFC 1 Year Subscription
Now available as a 1 year print subscription to both the...
BNF & BNFC 2 Year Subscription
Now available as a 2 year print subscription to both the...
The British National Formulary (BNF) is your essential ebook for prescribing,...