British National Formulary (BNF) 72
Joint Formulary Committee
72 (September 2016)
Published jointly by BMJ Publishing Group Ltd and Royal Pharmaceutical Society
BNF 72 has been revised and revalidated to reflect changes in product availability, emerging safety concerns and shifts in clinical practice. Access to the latest edition of the BNF is vital for healthcare professionals, as there are a large number of updates from one edition to the next.
Some of the significant content updates for BNF 72 include:
- New safety information about the risk of abnormal pregnancy outcomes with sodium valproate and valproic acid
- Updated guidance for conditions including asthma, obesity, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome and prostate cancer
- New drug monographs including edoxaban, albiglutide, dulaglutide, dasabuvir, and vortioxetine
- Updated pregnancy-prevention advice for patients taking mycophenolate mofetil
- Updated guidance on the risk of hepatitis B reactivation with BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase inhibitors, and pomalidomide
- Advice about the risk of ulceration with nicorandil treatment
- NICE guidelines including the use of vedolizumab for treating moderately to severely active Crohn’s disease
- New guidance on suspected or confirmed drug allergy
- Evidence grading of BNF recommendations.
Improvements in the new edition
Since the launch of the new format BNF we have actively sought your comments and feedback, and as a result have made the following improvements to this edition:
- Important safety information is displayed prominently within the monograph
- Class monographs (e.g. ACE inhibitors) are easy to navigate to from the individual monographs.
The BNF evaluates clinical evidence from diverse sources with information validated by a network of clinical experts and published under the authority of a Joint Formulary Committee.
Content of the BNF reflects current best practice as well as legal and professional guidelines relating to the uses of medicines. The resource includes:
- Guidance on the drug management of common conditions
- Details of medicines prescribed within the UK with special reference to their uses, cautions, contra-indications, side-effects, doses and relative costs. This allows treatment to be tailored to the individual needs of each patient.
- Guidance on prescribing, monitoring, dispensing and adminstering medicines.
The content is updated every 6 months in print, making it an up-to-date source of prescribing advice for informed decision-making.
"The redesigned BNF remains an extensive and authoritative reference text for pharmacists and healthcare professionals.
...the indication and the dose for each drug monograph have been moved together. These two pieces of information are probably the most important for BNF users, and it is useful to be able to access this vital information quickly.
...The notes remain extensive, useful and have been simplified, with text about specific drugs being moved into the drug monographs, while text about treatment and use of drug classes remaining in the notes.
...One thing I particularly like is that all the information about the systemic use of one drug is in the same place. For example, all the uses for systemic prednisolone — asthma, chronic obstructive airways disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, myasthenia gravis, proctitis and so on — can all be found on the same page.
...As ever, the BNF is its own best teacher. Get to know the new structure, use it frequently and it will soon become as familiar as the previous format."
Pamela Mason, The Pharmaceutical Journal, 19 October 2015
BNF Publications are now available via a money-saving print subscription.
- BNF Subscription for 1 year
- BNF + BNFC Subscription 1 year
- BNF Subscription for 2 years
- BNF + BNFC Subscription 2 years
Benefits of purchasing via subscription include:
- Constant access to the latest medical information as it publishes
- Significant financial savings on 1 and 2 year subscriptions, including package BNF/BNFC subscriptions
- Removes the need for repeat ordering and allows you to receive your copy as soon as it is published.
Also available via all major subscription agents.
You can also access the BNF online.
ISBN 978 0 85711 273 6
Publishing Sep 2016
210 x 148mm (1424pp)
Other formats available
Online via MedicinesComplete
The British National Formulary (BNF) is available online through MedicinesComplete.
BNF 1 Year Subscription
Now available as a 1 year print subscription, ensuring you have...
BNF 2 Year Subscription
Now available as a 2 year print subscription, ensuring you have...
BNF & BNFC 1 Year Subscription
Now available as a 1 year print subscription to both the...
BNF & BNFC 2 Year Subscription
Now available as a 2 year print subscription to both the...