Provides a practical explanation for undergraduates and pre-registration trainees on what to expect from a hospital pre-registration pharmacist training programme.
With tips, hints, past experiences and anecdotes from the authors in their roles as pre-registration tutors, this accessible book provides encouragement and guidance throughout the pre-registration process. Many areas are covered, including:
- getting to know your workplace, your tutor and team
- looking for your first job
- preparing for the registration exam
- making the transition from student to professional
- finding specialist placements.
Read our interview with author Aamer Safdar for more tips.
The fourth title in the Tomorrow's Pharmacists series, Hospital Pre-registration Pharmacist Training will be a valuable resource for pharmacy undergraduate students, hospital pre-registration trainees and hospital pre-registration tutors.
Hospital Pre-registration Pharmacist Training is also available as an eBook.
Section 1: Pre-registration trainees
1. Expectations of the Preregistration Placement
2. Induction: getting to know your workplace and your team
3. The Prereg Team - team dynamics
4. Your Tutor - Developing That Special Relationship
5. Making the Transition From Student to Professional
Section 2: A guide to rotations
6. First Rotation
7. Ward Based Pharmacy
8. Patient Services
9. Medicines Information
10. Technical Services
11. Community Pharmacy
12. Pharmacy in the wider healthcare environment
Section 3: Assessment and Feedback
13. Assessment and Feedback: how to get through these
14. Getting Signed Off
Section 4: Finding your first real job
15. Your first job as a hospital pharmacist
Section 5: Preparing for the Registration Exam
16. Preparing for the Registration Exam
Section 6: Specialist Placements
17. Integrated Sandwich Courses
18. Primary Care Trusts
19. Pharmaceutical Industry
20. Specialist Focus: Paediatrics
Section 7: Future Issues
21. The Future: gazing at the crystal ball
"I found that the quotes from other trainees and Pharmacists were particularly good and they helped to reinforce the reality of going into training...
The information about the exam and finding a job after training means this book will be useful throughout the training year and not just in the first few weeks...
The information is clear and easy to take in. The informal way in which topics are discussed in this book help to make the reader feel at ease about their training year. The top tips at the end of each section are also really helpful and give a good overview of what has just been covered...
I think this book would be an excellent read for any student who is going to be doing their pre-registration training in hospital..."
Samantha Allen, University of Nottingham, bpsa.co.uk.
"The book provides a really good insight into hospital pharmacy and neighbouring aspects of pharmacy such as primary care, sandwich courses, industry, the whole part of the preregistration year, and this is something that interviewers are interested to know about"
Raffin Mazumder, PJOnline, October 2012
"Well written and well thought out book! - full of tips, for both those interested in completing a hospital pre-reg placement or about to undertake one.
Essential reading to understand the role of a hospital pre reg pharmacist and most importantly the issues that may arise during the year."
"Mad", June 2010, Amazon.co.uk